Actors Theatre Offers Grant And Speaker Opportunities At 2019 Humana Festival Of New American Plays
from a press release
Louisville, KY – Actors Theatre of Louisville announces two opportunities for theatre professionals and new play supporters to participate in the 43rd Humana Festival of New American Plays.
Practitioners working in small budget theatres or as freelance artists are encouraged to apply for the Theatre Professionals Grant, a complimentary weekend at the upcoming Festival. Additionally, Actors Theatre invites guests to take the stage with Share the Spark, a curated program of short, energetic presentations centered on new and exciting visions for the future of American theatre.
The Theatre will award four Theatre Professionals Grants as opportunities to attend the Humana Festival and connect with audience members, visiting artists and Actors Theatre staff. Recipients will be granted a complimentary ticket package to a Humana Festival weekend, which includes up to five world premiere plays, transportation to and from Louisville International airport on key weekends, invitations to events and panel discussions and a Humana Festival gift.
Last year’s grant recipients had the chance to meet with members of Actors Theatre’s staff based on discipline area. Raymond O. Caldwell, associate artistic director of Theatre Alliance in Washington D.C. shared, “It was an honor to receive the grant, have the opportunity to meet with leadership at Actors Theatre, and participate in what was a dynamic and exhilarating weekend of theatre.”
Theatre Professional Grant applications are now available. The deadline to submit is January 11, 2019. A cross-departmental selection committee of Actors Theatre staff will review submissions.
Share the Spark offers Festival guests the chance to share their 5-minute vision for the American theatre in a public forum during the Humana Festival’s culminating weekend when artists, producers, practitioners and audiences come together for a thrilling toast to the newest in American theatre. From artistic revelations to passion projects to rallying cries–topics of all sorts and styles are welcome. The selected speakers will take the stage together during a public event on Friday, April 5, 2019.
An open call for Share the Spark proposals is now available. The deadline to submit is January 18, 2019. A cross-departmental selection committee of Actors Theatre staff will review submissions.
Listing Information: Theater Professionals Grant
Actors Theatre welcomes practitioners working in small budget theatres or as a freelance artist to a complimentary weekend of new works and spirited conversation at the 43rd Humana Festival of New American Plays. Online Application available here.
Application Deadline: January 11, 2019
Who should apply for a Humana Festival Theatre Professionals Grant?
- A person who has demonstrated an interest in or worked with new plays and/or playwrights.
- Employed in any area of theatre by a 501c3 with a budget of under $1,000,000 or is self-employed.
- Available to attend a Festival weekend at the 2019 Humana Festival (March 15-17, March 22-24, March 29-31 or April 4-7).
What are the rules?
- You must complete all parts of the application. Applications are now available and must be received by Friday, January 11, 2019.
- Applicants must be able to provide transportation to Louisville and housing for their selected Festival weekend.
- Once a Festival package has been awarded, they cannot be exchanged for a different weekend or performance.
- Tickets awarded through the grant program cannot be resold or transferred. Individuals that sell any donated tickets will be permanently disqualified from the program.
- Grants will be awarded to one applicant per Festival Weekend.
Questions? Email Elizabeth Greenfield, PR & Communications Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org
Share The Spark
Want to share your vision for the American theatre? Maybe it’s an artistic revelation. Maybe it’s a proposal. Maybe it’s a rallying cry. Topics of all sorts and styles are welcome; each presenter will have 5 minutes to share their light-bulb moment, enduring story or passion project.
Applicants should be planning to attend this spring’s Humana Festival’s final weekend: April 4-7, 2019. If selected, presenters need to be available for a dress rehearsal and presentation on Friday, April 5. Presenters will be responsible for their own travel and ticket package purchase. Presenters will receive a packaged, digital video recording of their presentation as well as a special Humana Festival gift bag.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2019
Who should submit a proposal?
- A strong, succinct storyteller with something true, relevant and unique to say.
- A person who has demonstrated an interest in the future of the American theatre.
- Someone who is planning to attend the 2019 Humana Festival’s final weekend: April 4-7, 2019.
What are the guidelines?
- Applicants must complete all parts of the application. Applications must be received by Friday, January 18, 2019.
- Applicants are responsible for their own Festival ticket package, transportation to Louisville, and accommodation.
- If you’ve already purchased a package for a different weekend, our box office will be in touch with you to exchange your tickets.
- One proposal per applicant.
- Once selected, panelists must meet required milestones including digital content submission and dress rehearsal. Final presentations must meet the time limit.
Questions? Email Zach Meicher-Buzzi, Artistic Manager (email@example.com).
About Actors Theatre of Louisville
Kevin E. Moore, Managing Director
Now in its 55th Season, Actors Theatre of Louisville, the State Theatre of Kentucky, is the flagship arts organization in the Louisville community. Actors Theatre serves to unlock human potential, build community, and enrich the quality of life by engaging people in theatre that reflects the wonder and complexity of our time.
Actors Theatre presents almost 350 performances annually and delivers a broad range of programming, including classics and contemporary work through the Brown-Forman Series, holiday plays, a series of theatrical events produced by the Professional Training Company, and the Humana Festival of New American Plays—the premier new play festival in the nation, which has introduced more than 450 plays into the American theatre repertoire over the past 42 years. In addition, Actors Theatre provides over 15,000 arts experiences each year to students across the region through its Education Department and boasts one of the nation’s most prestigious continuing pre-professional resident training companies, now in its 47th year.
Over the past half-century, Actors Theatre has also emerged as one of America’s most consistently innovative professional theatre companies, with an annual attendance of 140,000. Actors Theatre has been the recipient of some of the most prestigious awards bestowed on a regional theatre, including a Tony Award for Distinguished Achievement, the James N. Vaughan Memorial Award for Exceptional Achievement and Contribution to the Development of Professional Theatre, and the Margo Jones Award for the Encouragement of New Plays. Actors Theatre has toured to 29 cities and 15 countries worldwide, totaling more than 1,400 appearances internationally.
Currently, there are more than 50 published books of plays and criticism from Actors Theatre in circulation—including anthologies of Humana Festival plays, volumes of ten-minute plays, monologues, essays, scripts, and lectures from the Brown-Forman Classics in Context Festival. Numerous plays first produced at Actors Theatre have also been published as individual acting editions, and have been printed in many other anthologies, magazines, and journals—making an enduring contribution to American dramatic literature.